The term is over, classes are done. So, what is next? It’s time for a holiday. My list of reasons why I know a holiday is overdue, are the following:
- You get nervous when your computer is out of sight (what if someone steals it!!!).
- Your idea of going for a quick coffee includes a highlighter and a couple of scholarly articles.
- The definition of a great café is multiple power outlets.
- Half an hour of unscheduled time means you can fix multiple issues with endnote.
- A social event is meeting your advisor at Thomson House to work on your research proposal.
- Insomnia is time well spent – more time to keep on working.
- Having defended your competency papers is a creepy – there is momentarily no stress, no deadlines (I can’t take it).
- All compulsory course work is completed – so sign up for more classes (cannot imagine not taking classes.)
- Gym membership? – oh yeah – I forgot all about that.
- Writing check lists is an essential start to the day.
- After looking for the salt shaker for ½ hr, you find it in the fridge. How did it get there?
- Procrastination is viewed as an art form.
- Suddenly, every article looks exactly like the planned dissertation. Breathing stops. What if everything on the chosen topic has already been said. Panic sets in.
- Weekends? There is a difference between one day of the week and another?
- Sunny weather is depressing. Rain is more conducive to getting work done.
- The thought of a holiday causes stress.
A tropical paradise, perfect sunset – bring it on. What are some of your indicators that R and R are overdue?
Photo by Heather M.